Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Juggling Two Projects?

The plan was clear and quite simple: let script A (romcom) sit in the drawer. Rework outline of B (thrillerish) start translating and adapting it into novel form, see how that goes (well. Great benefit.). Rewrite B. Get feedback. While waiting for feedback, rework outline of A, b/c it's just not working (too long, subplotitis etc). Rewrite A. While waiting for feedback on A, consider notes for B, rework outline of B, rewrite B. If initial feedback was encouraging to begin with, submit new draft to a contest and see if it does anything.

So. Where are they now?

During new outline of B, main char of A shows up and throws me a nice scene. I'm not biting. I refuse to even jot it down. What am I, an idiot? Girl, you've just got to wait your turn.

Next day. Says she.. New Character could show up. Oooh, the possibilities. Comedy, tension, whatnot.
Whatever. I'll keep it in mind. I'm not interested in writing in a new character, you see.

Next day: there she is again. More details about New Character and the benefits. Explains how that supports the theme/main plot etc. Okay, I create a new doc and jot down that stuff.

Mistake: read blogs.

Look here, she says, that would work with New Char. Plus, consider giving them a diff. backstory to strengthen Male Lead's motivation.
You're nuts, honey. I want to tighten, cut, pace differently. Not add scenes to the beginning. Get lost.

Major mistake: watched some flicks. Especially bad: one was a romance. Shoot me. Oh shoot me now.

That's an interesting technique! Now if you VO'd that one supporting char--
No VOs honey.

Only in the beginning and end. And make him a (insert superb suggestion), that could work well and save time and would add a blahblahossa hossa and there are additional benefits to this, let me explain.

She does and unfortunately I can see her point. Spent a couple of nights fighting and losing and started to rewrite the outline - of A, the romcom, grr.

I'm starting the outline for A from scratch.

Yep, no diddling with the old one. Brandnew. See how the sequences come together incorporating new technique, perhaps (it may not be necessary at all) writing in VO for reworked char, see if New Char, who shows up in second half, works out and what damage NC can do, how and if NC increases tension.

While I do this... if there are scenes I simply forgot (as I'm not consulting draft or previous outline) I then can evaluate their purpose/worth etc. more objectively. Not coming from a "ah, this is so good, it has to stay" point but rather "I forgot this was in there. Hm. Is it worthy?" sort of biased-against-it POV.

I'm wondering if this (working on two very different projects more or less simultaneously) is a good idea to begin with. I know some writers advise against it. Nevertheless, they are not me.There's only one way to find out: The Trial Run. I set a deadline and will evaluate then if it works for me or not.

So. Dunno what it is - does she feel that life in a non-working draft or her unfinished life sucks? I do hope that once A is rewritten we're done, though. Ideally, she'll make some new and more interesting friends. Like, pro readers, agent, producer, actor and the like.

3 comments:

Stacia said...

Ha! I have the same thing happen to me. As soon as I set something aside, those people start clamoring for attention.

That's why I keep a few projects on the go at one time now. And a notebook nearby at all times because I will forget.

A. M. said...

Well, she was absent during the 23-Day-Screenplay event. Thank goodness. Gotta give her that.

Yep, will forget. That's certainly true. That's one of the reasons, perhaps THE reason why I finally gave in.

Hey, found any window screens yet? My personal list, BTW: A/C (big one right now, considering it's gonna be 34 C today and even more tomorrow), window screens, ice cubes, baggers in stores, truly free checking accounts, free local calls, Supers who aren't just leasing agents, grace periods at library, drop-off boxes, Rocky Road ice-cream, money orders for only cents at Safeway (instead 6 whole frigging Euros available only at a handful of places in the whole city, namely Amex outlets), etc.

I'm afraid the list goes on and on and then some. Gotta email Scotty for a pick-up or something.

Signed,
Grumpy

Stacia said...

My Mom is still looking for screens for me. Luckily the current heat wave seems to have broken. Maybe we'll have a couple of days of nice before it cmes back. I'm not counting on it.

Ah! Baggers in stores! I swear when I go back to the US for a visit I'm going to give a bagger a big hug. And I totally hear you on the leasing agent thing, too.

Also on my list: Mountain Dew (sigh), stores that are open on Sunday, real broadband/dsl internet-not this dumb phone-line splitter thing the Brits think is just as good, having my outgoing mail picked up from my house, non-fan ovens, shopping carts with fixed back wheels that don't fly all over the place...oh so many things.