Sunday, November 26, 2006

Beating the Nasty P

My house is clean, the laundry done, I'm blogging. This raises one question: what exactly is it that I should be doing but don't? Yep, I'm procrastinating. Big time. Before you get all holier than thou on me.... One word: taxes. Plus, I'm positive I've got to pay. My rather obvious way of preventing myself from doing the nasty task is to do all the other tasks I don't like but still prefer over digging out receipts and crunching numbers. As you know from a previous post, though, housework always gets the creative juices flowing. Hey, I'm on a juice-fast, so? Okay, back to serious:

Moviequill asked in his post for tips re: overcoming procrastination. And no, I'm not responsible for that potty-mouthed headline. Seriously. Not responsible. Okay, so he gave some tips and I remembered an article by Dr. Bill Knaus over at Albert Ellis Foundation, aptly titled Beat Procrastination Now! It's rather long, err, comprehensive. First, you might want to scroll to Mental Diversions chapter. So true and hilarious at the same time. If you're in a hurry, you then want to scroll down to Adopt a Philosophy of Self-Acceptance, that's where the lists start, the step-by-step plan. Yepp, not just one list, several lists.

On the other hand, if you're procrastinating screenwriting, you may just have a problem with your sp. Like me. I'm scared of all three of them at the moment. They're in different mega-evil departments of Rewriting-Hell. But they don't let me be, chars showing up at my bedside. Nice. Or you may stuff your pie-hole with actual pie and afterwards need all that precious energy to digest the pie. Just a thought. Oh, and spectator sports? Don't count. You don't actually exercise while you watch other people playing ball. I know, wouldn't that be cool? We could hire professional exercisers and would all be in the best shape ever - all of the time!

CUT TO:

Several hours and far too many computer-crashes later.....

Numbers are crunched for last year and this year --- not too frightening. There are still some deductions around, I'm sure. Got 3 more days to dig them out. Boy, am I feeling relieved!

And I wrote a couple of scenes for my thriller and a new opening for my rom-com. Longhand, how I hate that. Some very funny stuff, though, love that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'beat procrastination now'... and you call me potty mouth haha

A. M. said...

... next thing you know I'm talking about mastication. Get the pampers!